Everything About Blissful Balm
Everything You'd Ever Want (Or Need) To Know About
'Blissful Balm', Our Signature Lip Balm
What makes Blissful Balm so effective?
Let's start by discussing the skin structure of the average person's lips. The outermost level of your epidermis is called the stratum corneum and contains 15-16 outer layers of tissue which protect the deeper, more sensitive layers of tissue, muscle, and nerves; however, the skin of the lips isn't nearly as protected as their stratum corneum only consists of 3-4 outer layers. Complicating this low level of protection is the fact that the skin on your lips doesn't contain any sebaceous glands, from which your body naturally produces conditioning & protective oils which defend your skin against the environment; any conditioning and protection for you lips has to come from outside sources. When you add in factors like the a person's diet, stress levels, and activity levels (plus external things like environmental stressors), you start to see why your lips are among the first parts of your body to show signs of tiredness, aging, and poor health; and that's where lip balm comes into play.
Lip balms, lip salves, and other lip treatments are all different forms of the same principle tool: a specialized personal care product designed to address the various concerns specific to maintaining lip health. A good lip care product should be thick and emollient to prevent moisture loss and give an additional barrier of protection from external stressors; thin balms which evaporate quickly don't provide adequate protection and can cause lips to lose moisture even quicker. However, there does need to be a certain ratio of fast-absorbing conditioners to treat immediate symptoms like chapping, cracking, or general irritation due to environmental or biological factors. Finally, a truly incredible lip care product should be formulated with health as its first goal, not aesthetics. Lip cosmetics parading as lip care products leave lips woefully undefended from internal & external aggressors; it's the difference between running a marathon in sandals versus running shoes. In that respect, we believe we have come up with the most comfortable pair of running shoes you'll ever wear.
Blissful Balm has been formulated to provide a homogenous barrier of lip-loving ingredients which will help keep any lip care concerns at bay. The blend of lightweight oils (Apricot Kernel, Grapefruit Seed, & Peach Kernel) penetrate quickly & easily to nourish the tissues beneath the stratum corneum. Heavier oils & butters (Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa Butter, Kokum Butter, Mango Butter, Shea Butter, & Shorea Sal Butter) don't absorb or evaporate nearly as quick, so your lips enjoy long-lasting nourishment and comfort. All of that moisture and nourishment is sealed in by a blend of natural waxes (Candelilla Wax, Sunflower Wax, & a Vegan Jojoba Wax Substitute) which also protect the stratum corneum from environmental aggressors, effectively reinforcing your skin's natural defenses. A light blend of Vitamin E and a broad-spectrum Eco-Certified antimicrobial (Optiphen PLUS) fight against microscopic baddies and free radicals, while Spearmint Essential Oil and a dash of natural Mango Flavoring help ensure Blissful Balm isn't just effective, but pleasant to use too!
What are the ingredients of Blissful Balm?
*In the image below we have replaced the Mango Flavor & Spearmint Essential Oils with representations of the ingredients rather than the ingredients themselves. Both the Mango Flavor and Spearmint Essential Oil are mostly clear, colorless oils resembling ingredient #16 (Optiphen PLUS); we took the liberty to use actual mango & mint as an artistic choice. We hope our decision has not upset anyone.
Palm Kernel Oil
- An extremely supple and butter-like oil, palm kernel oil is an excellent skin conditioner and is rich in antioxidants. It is also an excellent source of palmitic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. Sourced from Indonesia.
Peach Kernel Oil
-Extremely similar to its taxonomical cousin, apricot or prunus armeniaca, peach (or prunus persica) kernel oil is a lightweight oil obtained from the nutrient-rich stones of peaches. Sourced from Italy.
Apricot Kernel Oil
-Like its cousin, apricot kernel oil is a lightweight oil rich in oleic and linoleic acids, obtained from the stones of apricot fruits. Sourced from USA.
Grapefruit Seed Oil
-High in linoleic and palmitic acids, this lightweight oil absorbs into skin quickly to nourish lips for immediate relief of dryness or irritation. Sourced from Spain.
-This hard, organic wax helps keep the lip balm firm under elevated heat, but also increases the thickness of the homogenous layer of balm which coats lips to prevent moisture loss. Sourced from USA.
-This hard wax extracted from the surface of candelilla plants offers similar benefits to sunflower wax, but its unique composition adds complexity to the balm's texture and helps strengthen the artificial lipid barrier created by applying the balm. Sourced from USA.
Jojoba Wax Substitute
-Similar to beeswax or paraffin, this vegan alternative is made from various vegetables and gives all the benefits of beeswax or paraffin without the ecological drawbacks. Sourced from USA.
-Possibly one of the most famous skin-nourishing ingredients in the world, shea butter has become synonymous with good skin health. This soft butter melts readily onto skin and its rich fatty acids moisturize and soften the tissue protected by the balm's artificial lipid barrier. Sourced from USA.
- This natural butter promotes healing and has been known to improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, dark spots. Its healing properties make it wonderful for banishing skin dryness, itchiness, redness, and general irritation from environmental stressors. Sourced from India.
- Rich in vitamins and essential fatty acids, mango butter softens skin and can help fight signs of aging while also fighting free radicals from the environment (even helping to protect from UV rays). Sourced from USA.
Shorea Sal Butter
-This soft butter is similar to cocoa butter but has a lower melting point and higher resistance to oxidation; plus it's rich in excellent topical anti-inflammatory lipids, omega-9 fatty acids. Sourced from India.
Cocoa Butter (Deodorized)
-Another famous skincare ingredient, cocoa butter, is known for its ability to soothe & soften skin. It also helps fortify the artificial lipid barrier created by the balm, while adding nutrients to the tissues underneath. Sourced from USA.
Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate)
- Aside from being a well-known antioxidant, Vitamin E helps the product retain integrity throughout its shelf-life; it's also believed that Vitamin E has multiple skin benefits (though research-based findings are limited). Sourced from USA.
-This naturally-derived flavoring oil as an unsweetened concentrate which smells & tastes like freshly-cut sun-ripened mangoes. Sourced from USA.
Spearmint Essential Oil
-This organic essential oil is distilled from the leaves & stems of spearmint plants and has a characteristically sweet, minty aroma & flavor with a slight cooling sensation upon contact with skin. Sourced from India.
- This mixture of natural & synthetic preservatives has ZERO parabens or formaldehyde/formaldehyde derivatives, but still manages to be a powerhouse defender against yeast, bacteria, & mold in personal care products. Sourced from USA.
How much of each ingredient is in a tube of Blissful Balm?
We've spent years perfecting this formula and truly believe it is a universal skincare product appropriate for all skin types, tones, and ages. Of course each person is unique and has unique needs/concerns when it comes to their skin's health, so we've done our best to give you as much information as possible regarding what's in our Blissful Lip Balm. In order to maintain some semblance of privacy regarding the minute specifics of this formula, the following percentages are presented as ranges of numbers rather than precise numbers; in other words, we want to be able to be transparent with customers without letting other companies copy off our homework.
With that said, here are more detailed specifics regarding the ingredients:
In the following list, each ingredient is listed from most-to-least present within the formula; ingredients contributing the most to the formula will appear highest on the list.
- Palm Kernel Oil 10-30%
- Peach Kernel Oil 10-30%
- Apricot Kernel Oil 10-30%
- Grapefruit Seed Oil 10-30%
- Sunflower Wax 5-10%
- Candelilla Wax 5-10%
- Jojoba Wax Substitute 5-10%
- Shea Butter 5-10%
- Kokum Butter 1-5%
- Mango Butter 1-5%
- Shorea Sal Butter 1-5%
- Deodorized Cocoa Butter 1-5%
- Vitamin E 1-3%
- Mango Flavor 0.5%
- Spearmint Essential Oil 0.5%
- Optiphen PLUS 0.5%
* The ingredients 'Optiphen PLUS', 'Spearmint Essential Oil', & 'Mango Flavor' are given exact percentages as they play a larger role in possible skin irritation or adverse reactions than the other ingredients. We add just enough Optiphen PLUS, a broad-spectrum preservative and antimicrobial, in order to preserve the product's integrity and extend its shelf-life while adhering to US & EU safety guidelines and standards. We add flavoring to help make the product more enjoyable because left unflavored, the organic waxes & butters can give off a faint odor reminiscent of warm vegetable oil; it's a natural smell that isn't fit to everyone's fancy, we've found the spearmint & mango combination is preferred by everyone. If you have any allergies or sensitivities toward spearmint or mango, either in their natural forms or their synthetic forms, please contact us and we can arrange a way to make a lip balm suited to your needs at no additional charge.
Ph : ~5.6
Color: creamy white
Texture: thick and substantial, readily melts on skin contact and sets quickly
Fatty Acid Profile: